TCa, Inc. LogoThe Traditional Cat Association, Inc.©1987®TM Official Website
Founded 1987, by Diana L. Fineran
 

  " Home of the Traditional Cat"©

Our Motto: To Preserve, Protect, Perpetuate, 
and  Promote  Traditional  Cats.
©
             
 
Departments   

Home

PayPal @ TCA

Breeders

Breed Info

Classified Ads

Cattery Inspection

Cattery Registration

Registry Info
TCA Shows

TCA Membership

Club Info

Links

Education

Products

Services

Legal

Newsletters

Cat Capers

Computer

Contact TCA

eBook now Available!

Exclusive - THE book on Traditional & Classic Siamese cats

Written by the Founder of TCA, Inc.



Tullycrine
Affordable
Web Design


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SPRING BRINGS FLOWERS AND CAUTION

 By Breanna Isbell-Shepherd, Michigan State University

“With the Easter holiday behind us, but with some of us still keeping Easter Lilies, cat owners should be aware that Easter Lilies pose a potential health hazard for their pets.  Cats can be poisoned by ingesting one or two leaves or flowers.  Symptoms start within 30 minutes of ingesting leaves or flowers.  The first symptom is depression, followed by vomiting, loss of appetite and loss in body weight.  Acute renal failure starts at about 48 hours post-ingestion. Easter Lily poisoning is a problem of in door cats and affects cats of either sex and all ages. 

From clinical experience, between 50 % and 100 % of cats poisoned by Easter Lilies die from the poisoning.  This is because the toxin is not identified yet and there is no antidote.  Dogs or laboratory animals like mice and rats are reportedly not sensitive to Easter Lilies.

Along with the Easter Lily, the National Animal and Poison Control Center has identified Tiger Lilies and Asiatic hybrid lilies as being toxic as well.  Several other plants in this category may also lead to renal failure.

If you suspect that your cat has ingested Easter Lily flowers or leaves, your pet should be taken to the hospital as soon as possible.  As mentioned earlier, vomiting and lack of appetite will be the first signs you may notice.  The vomit may have shreds of plant material in it.

It is extremely important that early treatment is rendered before acute renal failure sets in.  General supportive therapy, including fluids has been shown to be very effective if rendered within six hours of ingestion.  The odds of recovery are dramatically reduces if treatment is initiated more than 18 hours after ingestion of Easter Lilies.”

 
   
 
 
                

The Traditional Cat Association, Inc.
©1987®TM
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
© by John & Diana Fineran - Aug 1999- 2015.  
No portion of this website or any information contained within it may be copied, or in any way distributed,
without the expressed written permission of John or Diana Fineran - No exceptions.